Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

The Hat Trick would like to wish all of my readers a Happy New Year as we put 2009 behind us and look to begin 2010. For the Hat Trick family putting 2009 behind will be a good thing given some of the challenges we have faced as a family throughout this year. However, even though this has been a difficult year professionally, the Hat Trick is determined to stay positive and focus on the good things that happened in 2009.

In taking stock of 2009 I came up with this list that truly defines what is important for the Hat Trick:

My Family:

Most important to the Hat Trick is the arrival of the newest member of the Red Wings fan club, our daughter. She truly is a joy and has already completely wrapped me around her finger! I'm very thankful to have her as part of the family. My relationship with my son has gone from being good to being great. We have become very close since I have been home more and that has been wonderful. Playing trains with him can truly take away all of your worries and anxiety. The fact that is now very interested in hockey is a wonderful bonus! I had the opportunity to fly with him down to Florida for a visit with his grandparents and it was a special moment to fly with him and share the experience of travel. He was so excited to get on the plane and take off as you can see here. He has the same obsession with trains as his Dad does with aviation and it is really fun to share that with him A major rail line goes behind our neighborhood in Northern Virginia and on a daily basis he gets to see freight trains, Virginia Railway Express commuter trains and Amtrak passenger trains. He gets so excited when he hears the toot of their horns. I'm so lucky to have had this time with him.

My wife and I are also doing very well and this year has really strengthened our relationship in many ways. We have worked very well together throughout this stressful time and even have managed to have some fun along the way. I hear from other people in similar situations about how much their relationships with their spouses have deteriorated. I've also heard of wives who have blamed their husbands for their job loss and have acted in extremely unsupportive ways. I'm so lucky to not have to deal with that at all.

The 2009 Inauguration:

I realize this might surprise some of my readers but it is true. Regardless of political differences we have a system of government in this country that allows for a smooth transition of government between Presidents. While the Hat Trick voted for his opponent (unenthusiastically) President Obama won the election fair and square (no need to discuss the ACORN issues here...he would have won anyway) and has the privilege of leading our country for four years and possibly eight. I may not agree with him always but I wish him well. The Hat Trick also hopes that by virtue of his election we will be able to heal some of the wounds in this country surrounding race. I'm hopeful at least.

The Detroit Red Wings:

I'm happy the Wings made it to another Stanley Cup Final and took the Penguins to Game Seven to finally beat us. Even though they didn't win (and I blogged quite a bit on the poor officiating at the time) they showed why they are such a strong organization and while they are going through some salary cap growing pains this year they are still finding ways to win and stay competitive. They might not win the Stanley Cup every year but they have made it to the playoffs every single year since 1987 which is a tremendous accomplishment. Go Wings!

Travel:

Even with the lack of employment and the perks of employment travel I have managed to fly a little bit...mostly to a job interview our of the Washington, DC area but have also managed two trips to Florida due to the generosity of my in-laws. Our aircraft to Sarasota on our second trip is pictured at right...first time my son dragged his "Bob the Builder" wheeled suitcase down the jetway! The industry has gone through some major pains this year but hopefully see some relief as the economy improves. And who can forget the "landing" of US Airways 1549 into the Hudson River last January?

Conclusion:

Not sure if there is a need for a conclusion but having one satisfies my need for an organized post. Even with being unemployed I have it pretty good and am thankful for what I have. So many other people in this situation are in far worse shape compared with my family. While I'm ready to get back to work I know I need to be patient. Hopefully 2010 will reward this patience

Happy New Year!

No comments: