Thursday, May 18, 2017

Senators Dominate Penguins

While the Hat Trick really has no dog in this Eastern Conference Finals hunt, there was a bit of a smile when I saw the score of the Ottawa-Pittsburgh game last night.  The Senators went on a scoring spree in the first period and won Game 3 with a score of 5 - 1.  Again, while I really don't have any investment in this series, I can also say I haven't ever really liked the Penguins, so that might have some to do with my smile this morning.  Whether it's the feeling that the Red Wings got somewhat robbed in Game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Finals (zebras don't call a penalty against the Penguins until the third period?) to living in Washington Capitals country for 15 years (those two teams really don't like each other), I've just never cared for them.  And I'm kind of happy to see a Canadian team be successful...the last time a team from Canada won the Stanley Cup was in 1993 when the Montreal Canadiens beat the L.A. Kings ...I was still in college but Barry Melrose still had a mullet!

The Penguins are tough and should never be counted out, but the Senators looked strong last night so it might be worth checking into Game 4 this Friday.

No comments: