Sunday, April 2, 2017

Wings at Tampa Bay, March 30

Mrs. East Coast Wing and I had the opportunity to see the Wings in person when they faced the Tampa Bay Lightening on March 30.  This was a birthday gift from my wife's family and included babysitting from Nana, which is a huge help when you factor in the cost of a babysitter these days!

The Wings came out strong but then faltered with some shaky goal tending and Tampa Bay having a  greater need to win the game due to playoff considerations...unlike the Wings they are still in the hunt.  But, as always, it's great to see the Wings in person which is something I haven't been able to do in a very long time...when we lived in the New York City area it was really expensive and when we lived in the Philadelphia area it was terribly safe given the behavior of Philly fans!  But possibly the best result of the game was running into my cousin, who was down from Detroit, and came to the game last-minute...that was a great "Facebook worthy" photo!

It will be strange next week when I won't have Red Wing hockey to watch in the post season...this is amazing considering the last time this happened I was a senior in high school and George H.W. Bush was President (have to add some politics in somewhere in this post!) and some current players in the NHL were not even born yet...amazing!  Hopefully the Wings can use the time to rebuild and continue the process of developing talent.

In the meantime I'm just happy I got to see them play again...that is never a terrible thing.

No comments: